This website is only viewable in landscape mode. Please rotate to landscape view.
Manakamana Cable Car, an ISO 9001 : 20015 certified company is owned and operated by Manakamana Darshan P. Ltd., a Subsidiary of CHITWAN COE GROUP, is the first & pioneering Cable Car Service of Nepal Providing service from Cheres, Icchakamana Rural Municipality in Chitwan to the one of the most important hindu Pilgrimage Manakamana at Gorkha. The Commercial operation started in November 23, 1998.
Using the world’s leader in ropeway technology from Doppelmayr of Austria,it provides excellent services including parking facility, a multi cuisine restaurant, fast food, Souvenir shop etc for the comfort of our visitors.
A Well Maintained Landscaped garden, Clean environment and safety given a top priority, the cable car service is at par or even better to any other international installation.
The Cable Car service has promoted the Manakamana as a must visit place while in Nepal around the globe for pilgrimage, Leisure, recreation as well as adventure tourism and has contributed to the upliftment of the economy in the surrounding area of Manakamana and Darechowk VDC’s and also to the National economy.
The Bottom station is located on the banks of Trisuli River (258 Mtr) at Kurintar and the Top Station (1302 Mtr) at Manakamana, is 2 ½ Hrs drive from Kathmandu, 2 Hrs from Pokhara and 1 Hours from Narayanghat. Before the cable Car was established, thousands of pilgrims had to go to Manakamana by a long strenuous trek. Few numbers of Peoples still prefer the foot path. The Cable Car ride covers a distance of 2.8 KM with 34 Passangers and 3 Cargo Cars, Each with a seating capacity of 6 people, the system has the overall capacity of handling 660 persons per hour and takes about 10 minutes to reach Manakamana.
LEGEND OF MANAKAMANA
The queen of Ram Shah, the king of Gorkha born in 1614 AD, was a goddess known to only her devotee,Lakhan Thapa. One day the king saw his queen in the form of a goddess. He told about in to Lakhan Thapa and he died instantly, in 1636 AD. The queen committed Sati (commit cremation with the husband’s pyre as per custom of that time). Lakhan Thapa lamented on her Sati. The queen consoled him to reappear again near his home. Six month later, a farmer named Dhandhoj Thapa hit a stone while ploughing his field. Blood and mild came out from the stone. Lakhan Thapa came to know the news. He worshipped the place with ‘Tantric’ rituals. The flow of blood and milk ceased.The site became the foundation of the present day shrine of Manakamana Temple. Manakamana meaning wish fulfilling goddess. The current priest is the 21st generation descendant of Lakha Thapa.
The Shrine of Manakamana renovated many times over the centuries has four story pagoda style roofs with entrance from the South-West. The pujari performs daily prayers and ritual in the temple behind closed doors by offering eggs, oranges, rice, red powder and strips of cloth to the deities. On completion of the pooja of the shrine by the priest, the turn of the public begins.